Fast Company asks: are 3D scans the future of museums? In the case of the Mosul Museum in northern Iraq, there may be no other options. In February, ISIS looted and destroyed many of the museum’s invaluable artifacts from millennia past. Now, Project Mosul is reconstructing and preserving the lost objects through 3D scans. Eventually, these scans could become part of an entirely interactive online museum. While the physical objects have been lost, Project Mosul is ensuring their memories live on in 3D.
Other cool embeds:
- What happens when you ask a bunch of people to scan parts of Belgrade? If you’re James George and Alexander Porter, you end up with the building blocks of Exquisite City. Exquisite City is a surreal, virtual space created by mixing together crowd-sourced 3D scans. And yes, it’s as cool as it sounds. Read how the artists used photogrammetry and Unity to create the city, and check out pieces of the project in 3D.
- If you can’t make it to New York City to see the vibrant street art that is popping up, then head over to Untapped Cities to check out some pieces in 3D.
- We’ve written about our Kerbal Space Program exporter, and love what people are doing with it! See some cool craft on reddit.
- Sketchfab is on reddit again, this time with some awesome fan art. League of Legends’ aquatic Fizz gets a fiery makeover with dragon7350’s skin concept. Some commenters think the model looks like a Neopet — check out the embed and see if you agree!
We’re highlighting six crowdfunding campaigns this week:
- You will love this interactive tabletop holographic display! Holus provides a blend between the digital and real world by converting any 2D digital content into a 3D holographic experience. Only a month left to preorder one!
- Eedu is an easy educational drone kit for learning robotics. Designed with simplicity in mind, it’s a hardware and software platform that enables inventors who want to create new drone applications. You can be one of the Dronesmiths backing the project on Kickstarter!
- If you can spend hours playing on your computer, you should probably check this Indiegogo campaign. DEV1S is an affordable PC eyewear with high-tech lenses that block harmful blue light, and fit for your best performance and comfort. Check it out!
- A Plug and Play customizable aircraft with third party hardware and application platform? Smartplane enables you to create your own aerial projects and not to worry about the aeronautical and electronics aspects of a drone. Live on Kickstarter!
- The WorldView Mirror allows drivers to fully enjoy their surroundings by vastly expanding their field of view. Eliminate blind spots, have a more enjoyable drive, and check on passengers. Install it in seconds and even transfer it from one vehicle to another easily.
- Finally, Diluvion is a fully 3D open world submarine exploration and combat game. Take command of your submarine and gather a crew, explore the flooded world and discover the secrets of Diluvion! You can back the project on Kickstarter.