Calling all 3D artists to duty! VR has the transformative ability to teleport people to another state of mind. Imagine where you could be if you modeled or painted your own environments? Imagine what the world would look like if you had an entirely different UI (user interface around you)! In this week’s challenge, we take a little inspiration from Persona’s UI or Iron Man’s HUD (heads up display) and open up the challenge to you to design your own UI/HUD!
In this challenge, we open it up to any virtual reality creation tool and/or 3D software. The only goal is to create an original UI and/or HUD that would work well in a VR setting.
Go wild and while we encourage it, don’t feel constrained by the Tony Stark aesthetic! After you’ve created your own Mark VII or dual worlds, tag your art as #VR-Interface to enter.
The restrictions in terms of materials used and the subject matter always bring an outpour of creativity from the awesomely talented Sketchfab community, so we’d love to give something back to you! Here are the rules:
- You can use any 3D or VR creation tool that you like. Tilt Brush, Oculus Quill, Medium, are some VR options but Houdini, Blender, MODO, ZBrush, Cinema4D, Maya are also some other awesome options.
- Once you’ve created your scene, upload it to Sketchfab, tag it #VR-Interface
- Share what you’re planning to create on the challenge thread in the forum – for extra fun you can collaborate with other participants and create pieces that work well together!
- Submission deadline is Tuesday, March 28th (23:59 New York time – EST)
- Sketchfab Master Vlad Ilic
- Sketchfab Community Member and VR Director Mike Murdock
- SideFX Product Specialist Scott Keating
- Sketchfab: Seori and Bart, Community
For the winner:
- Houdini Indie License (value of $199)
- 3 months of PRO (value of $45)
- 2 Houdini Swag Bags for the runners up
Terms and Conditions
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
- This is a contest for individuals, no teams.
- No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab employees or their families.
- No ripping of models from anywhere on the Internet, all entries must be original works of art. Using work that is not your own will immediately disqualify you.
- The judges’ decision are final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Contestants models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #VR-Interface to be considered.
- Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
- Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- The winners will be contacted by Friday, March 31st.
- Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.