The saying goes ‘there’s no place like home!’ and that’s certainly true of this month’s Store Seller exclusive challenge. We’re focussing on another top-selling category, Furniture & Home, with a twist – everything in a low poly and/or hand painted style.
Inspiration for this challenge is all around you and the uses for 3D models of home furnishings are endless – interactive games, VR + AR, 2D renders, props for animations etc.
N.B. This challenge requires that you are already set up as a seller on the Sketchfab Store – to find out more and apply to become a seller, check out this article.
Think about creating a set of models for a specific or generic use case. Here are some ideas:
- All the furniture for a generic house or home
- A mega-pack of lamps and light fittings
- All the furniture and fixtures for a themed space e.g. an office, a hotel, a hospital, an expensive mansion, a modern penthouse, a castle etc.
TL;DR: create a low poly 3D model – or better yet several models to make a pack – for the Home & Furniture category . Upload it to the Sketchfab Store, set the price, category, and tag it #StoreFurnitureChallenge.
Some inspiration from the Store:
- Think modular, think generic. Create 3D models that work as a set and can be used as building blocks that a designer can use and re-use to build up a scene from scratch.
- Think optimization. Try to limit each model to one material/texture or even consider having several modular pieces shared one material using texture atlases.
- Consistent style. Stay consistent and think about how your models could work with other sets and packs a buyer might be considering to use.
- Take inspiration from your surroundings. Break down your environment into all the little details that combine to make a real space.
- Promotional posts for your work on the Sketchfab, Twitter & Instagram
- A $100 Sketchfab sponsored boost for a post about your work on Facebook, targeting known buyer audiences.
- 3 months of Sketchfab PRO
- This challenge covers both modeling and texturing: create an architectural asset using your favourite tools. Any technique goes! You can use sculpting, box modeling, voxels – you name it! We’ll be looking for the most visually interesting models.
- Submit only new work, but feel free to submit multiple scenes.
- Once you’ve created your scene, upload it to Sketchfab, tag it #StoreFurnitureChallenge.
- Share what you’re planning to create on the challenge thread in the forum!
- Submission deadline is Monday, July 16 (23:59 New York time – EST)
- Winners will be announced Friday, July 20