Inspiration can take many forms, and for this week’s contest we turn to 3D scans of Japanese netsuke carvings from some of the museums on Sketchfab. The goal is to sculpt your take, whether modern or traditional, on the centuries-old netsuke.
Netsuke (根付) [netsɯke] are miniature sculptures that were invented in 17th-century Japan to serve a practical function … a carved, button-like toggle called a netsuke. ~ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netsuke
UPDATE: Winner – Bug Driver Netsuke by plasticarm
TL;DR: Use your favorite sculpting tools to create your own netsuke, upload it to Sketchfab, and tag it #NetsukeChallenge.
- Use your favourite software and workflow to sculpt your interpretation of a netsuke.
- Submit only new work, but feel free to submit multiple scenes.
- Once you’ve created your scene, upload it to Sketchfab, tag it #NetsukeChallenge.
- Share what you’re planning to create on the challenge topic in the forum!
- Submission deadline is Monday, September 10 (23:59 New York time – EST)
- Mieke Roth, Geoffrey Marchal, Abby Crawford, and Phil Gosch, Sketchfab Masters
- Tom and Bart, Sketchfab Community Team.
- The winner receives a $100 Amazon gift card (or equivalent if you don’t have access to Amazon), and of course we’ll add three months of Sketchfab PRO to your account.
Terms and Conditions
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
- This is a contest for individuals, no teams.
- No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab employees or their families.
- No ripping of models from anywhere on the Internet, all entries must be original works.
- The judges’ decision are final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Contestants’ models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #NetsukeChallenge to be considered.
- Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
- Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- The winners will be contacted by Friday, September 14.
- Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.