If you’ve ever wished you could collaborate with master artists a thousand years ago – now’s your chance! We want you to re-imagine some of the amazing historical art and artifacts that have been uploaded to Sketchfab by museums, archaeologists and 3D scanners from around the world.
Step 1: Find something to remix. Go explore all the downloadable content in the Culture & Heritage category and see what inspires you, or check out the suggested models, profiles and tools below.
Step 2: Remix! Maybe you’ll complete an in-complete artifact, maybe you’ll imagine a futuristic rendition of some ancient art, maybe you’ll animate the inanimate – whatever you do: be creative, be respectful.
UPDATE: Winner – Rhetorician by engine9!
TL;DR: Download a piece of historical 3D from Sketchfab and remix the geometry and/or textures, upload it to Sketchfab, credit the original uploader and tag it #CHRemixChallenge
- Use your favourite software and workflow to remix a piece of ancient art that you’ve downloaded from Sketchfab.
- Important: add a note and link in the description that credits the user, museum or organisation that originally uploaded the 3D model you remixed.
- For added good karma, release your remixed model for download under a similar CC license
- Submit only new work, but feel free to submit multiple scenes.
- Once you’ve created your scene, upload it to Sketchfab, tag it #CHRemixChallenge.
- Share what you’re planning to create on the challenge thread in the forum!
- Submission deadline is Monday, March 5th (23:59 New York time – EST)
A collection of downloadable cultural heritage models:
Profiles with downloadable cultural heritage content:
Alienor.org, Conseil des musées
Idaho Virtualization Laboratory
Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History
Minneapolis Institute of Art
The Royal Armoury (Livrustkammaren
The British Museum
The National Museum of Antiquities
El Museo Canario
Morbase | Museu Virtual
The Cuming Museum
Here I stand…
Timespan Museum And Arts Centre
Grand Rapids Public Museum
City of Ballarat
Indianapolis Museum of Art
Allard Pierson Museum
Some free 3D tools to remix with:
The winner receives a $100 Amazon gift card (or equivalent if you don’t have access to Amazon), and of course we’ll add three months of Sketchfab PRO to your account.
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
- This is a contest for individuals, no teams.
- No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab employees or their families.
- No ripping of models from anywhere on the Internet, all entries must be original works.
- The judges’ decision are final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Contestants models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #CHRemixChallenge to be considered.
- Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
- Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- The winners will be contacted by Friday, March 9th.
- Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.