Today we launch a new type of challenge that draws on the many skills of our community members to take a model from idea to completion in four neat steps. We’re calling it a progressive challenge and here’s how it works:
Round 1: Sculpting
- Sculpt a mythological creature in a neutral pose without any UVs, texturing, or animation. Just the sculpt!
- Make sure that it is posed in such a way that it can be rigged and animated later in the process.
- Stay under 3M polys.
- Upload the model to Sketchfab and tag it #MythCreature-Sculpt. The deadline for this round is Monday, February 25, 2019 (23:59 EST)
- A winner will be chosen by the judges for Round 1, and that winning entry will be the subject of Round 2.
Round 2: Retopology, Unwrapping, Baking, and Texturing
Winning entry from Round 1 is the starting point for Round 2. Details announced February 27, 2019
Round 3: Rigging and Animation
Winning entry from Round 2 is the starting point for Round 3. Details announced March 15, 2019
Round 4: Lighting and 3D Editor
Winning entry from Round 3 is the starting point for Round 4. Details announced April 1, 2019
You are welcome to participate in as many rounds of the contest as you want, and prizes will be awarded to the winner of each round.
TL;DR: Sculpt a mythological creature using your preferred tools and workflow, upload your model to Sketchfab, and tag it #MythCreature-Sculpt.
- Use your favorite software and workflow to sculpt a mythological creature.
- Make sure that your creature is posed in such a way that it can be rigged and animated later in the process.
- Stay under 3M polys.
- Submit only new work, but feel free to submit multiple scenes.
- Once you’ve created your scene, upload it to Sketchfab, tag it #MythCreature-Sculpt.
- Share what you’re planning to create on the challenge topic in the forum!
- The winning model must be made available for download under a CC-BY-SA or non-commercial license
- Submission deadline is Monday, February 25, 2019 (23:59 New York time – EST)
- Alexandre Collonge, Guest Judge
- Mieke Roth, Rik van den Biggelaar, Geoffrey Marchal, Kevin Cayuela Borg, Abby Crawford, Sketchfab Masters
- Bart and Tom, Sketchfab Community Team.
- The winner of each round will receive a $100 Amazon gift card (or equivalent if you don’t have access to Amazon), and of course we’ll add three months of Sketchfab PRO to your account.
Terms and Conditions
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
- This is a contest for individuals, no teams.
- No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab employees or their families.
- No ripping of models from anywhere on the Internet, all entries must be original works.
- The judges’ decision are final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Contestants’ models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #MythCreature-Sculpt to be considered.
- Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
- Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- The winners will be contacted by Wednesday, February 27, 2019.
- Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.