Hello Sculptors, it’s time for another round of our new 3D sculpting challenge! Like last time, you’ll get two weeks to work on a topic that encourages everyone to collaborate – we’ll combine the final entries into one large scene afterwards, linking each entry to the original.
This month, the topic is ‘Underwater Creatures’ – realistic or fantastical fish or other critters. So brush up your biological sculpting skills, grab some reference pics and start creating!
Our sponsor Shapeways is providing a 3D print of the winning model.
Read on for the full rules, but the TL;DR version is: sculpt any ‘underwater creature’ model, upload to Sketchfab and set ‘Downloadable’, tag with #3DSculptUnderwater to enter.
Update: the winners are in!
We’ve been trying to think up new ways to make these challenges interesting to both new and experienced 3D sculpting artists and also more community oriented – how can we work together to build something and give back to the wider 3D neighbourhood, so here’s how we’re running this challenge:
- You can use any 3D sculpting tool that you like. If you’re new to sculpting, take a look at free tools like Sculptris, Blender or our own Sculptfab.
- Once you’ve created your 3D model, upload it to Sketchfab, tag it #3DSculptUnderwater and set it to Downloadable.
- Share what you’re planning to create on the challenge thread in the forum – for extra fun you can collaborate with other participants and create pieces that work well together!
- Models must be set to Downloadable to take part in the challenge – partly so we can combine the top entries in our final tabletop war scene but also because we are encouraging you to create a legacy of free and open 3D content that can be used by artists, game devs and hobbyists.
- Submit new work only.
- Submission deadline is Monday, March 20 (23:59 New York time – EST).
- Sketchfab Masters Mieke Roth, Mike Fong and Alex Meister.
- Shapeways Community Team: Andrew Thomas
- Sketchfab Community Team: Seori and Bart
Shapeways is offering $100 in 3D printing credits to the winner – enough to get your design 3D printed in a great material and ship to you! We’re adding 3 months of Sketchfab PRO to the prize pot.
Terms and Conditions
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
- This is a contest for individuals, no teams.
- No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab employees or their families.
- No ripping of models from anywhere on the Internet, all entries must be original works.
- The judges’ decision are final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Contestants models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #3DSculptUnderwater to be considered.
- Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
- Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- The winners will be contacted by Friday, March 24.
- Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.