We are glad to present a new version of Sketchfab. You will discover a whole new design, as well as great new features!
We rethinked the general look and feel of Sketchfab, to improve your experience and enhance the models’ environment.
The navigation bar has been completely redesigned and simplified.
And there is a new background with grid theme, same as the new background of this blog. We find it more neutral and more appropriated to showcase 3D creations.
We brainstormed a lot to make a great embedded viewer. The embed is our first ambassador, we wanted to make it perfect!
Controls have been redesigned, and you can now share a model directly from the embed. Navigation explanations are way clearer now. We also added a little information icon: put your mouse over it, and you’ll see a thumbnail, the title and author of the model, and a link to view it on Sketchab. And finally you can now disable the 3D view from the embed, in case many models are displayed on the same page and you don’t want to overload it.
We are pretty happy with these new controls, so we decided to integrate them to the main viewer as well. Here is an example below, see for youself:
Many people have been asking for it: you can now upgrade to Sketchfab PRO. You will get:
- Up to 100 models of storage space
- Private sharing > your models aren’t publicly listed on Sketchfab
- Password protection > you can setup a password for each model
- Up to 200 MB file size
- Unbranded viewer > the Sketchfab logo doesn’t appear and you can hide all controls
- PRO badge
We hope you will enjoy it! You can get the PRO version for 9€ / month. And of course you can still join Sketchfab for free. You will be able to upload up to 10 models of 50 MB each, which means up to 500 mb of free storage space! You can enjoy unlimited views and embeds.
Why do we now count storage by models instead of size? First we polled our early adopters, to ask them what they thought about it, as they are the first interested 🙂 To be honest the result was almost a perfect 50/50. We thought about it over and over, and the choice to go to model count appeared obvious for us, here are a few reasons why:
- we process every model, and the size it takes on our server may be different from its original size.
- we don’t want users to reduce quality because of size issues.
- we will add a low res / high res feature, and automatically make a low res version for every model, but it will not be counted as more storage space or additional model.
- we will add a versioning feature, and you will be able to upload different versions of the same model, and it will still be counted as one single model, whatever the size and number of versions.
For users who already have more than 10 models, don’t worry: we wont delete them and you don’t have to upgrade to Sketchfab pro. You just won’t be able to add more.
You can now add your twitter and facebook accounts on your dashboard. And don’t forget to fill in your bio if you haven’t done it yet! And you don’t have to click on “show more” when you scroll down a page, it loads automatically. You will discover litlle improvements here and there, and we will keep adding some regularly.
Drop us a line if you have a cool idea to implement or things you want to see improved. We do our best to answer your emails within 24 hours, but please be patient if it is not the case. That being said, it is always a pleasure to hear from you, so don’t hesitate!
Visit us at sketchfab.com