Hello, all Virtual Reality artists! With so many awesome challenges going on, we wanted to bring it back to one of the most fundamental art forms of all: drawing by hand. What are we to draw, you may ask? Eiji Aonuma, the producer for The Legend of Zelda series, recently stated that he didn’t think Zelda was well-suited for VR. Let’s prove him wrong and let The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo®) be your inspiration for this month’s challenge!
In this challenge, we open it up to any virtual reality creation tool. This is including, but not limited to: Tilt Brush, Oculus Quill, Medium, etc. The goal is to re-create a Legend of Zelda (Nintendo®) environment or an environment inspired by the games — no characters required! Imagine what sort of stories are going on in your scene!
Go wild! Use this as an opportunity to brush up on your Zelda knowledge, re-play Ocarina of Time, and then draw to your heart’s content! After you’ve recreated your own Windfall Island, tag your art as #VRZeldaChallenge to enter.
Update: the winners are in!
The restrictions in terms of materials used and the subject matter always bring an outpour of creativity from the awesomely talented Sketchfab community, so we’d love to give something back to you! Here are the rules:
- You can use any VR creation tool that you like. You’ll need a VR headset for this, but there are quite a few options such as, Tilt Brush, Oculus Quill, or Medium.
- Once you’ve created your scene, upload it to Sketchfab, tag it #VRZeldaChallenge
- Share what you’re planning to create on the challenge thread in the forum!
- Submission deadline is Monday, February 13th (23:59 New York time – EST)
- Sketchfab Master Vladimir Ilic
- Sketchfab Community Member Liz Edwards
- Sketchfab: Seori Sachs, Community
- Sketchfab: Michael Calvert, Games Evangelist
For the winner:
- $25 The Legend of Zelda: Art & Artifacts
- $60 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU or Switch version)
- $30 of 3 Months of Sketchfab PRO
Terms and Conditions
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
- This is a contest for individuals, no teams.
- No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab employees or their families.
- No ripping of models from anywhere on the Internet, all entries must be original works of art. Using work that is not your own will immediately disqualify you.
- The judges’ decision are final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Contestants models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #VRZeldaChallenge to be considered.
- Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
- Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- The winners will be contacted by Friday, February 17th.
- Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.