Hello Sculptors, and welcome to our new monthly 3D sculpting challenge! Each month, you’ll get two weeks to work on a topic that encourages everyone to collaborate – we’ll combine the final entries into one large scene afterwards, linking each entry to the original.
This month, we’re challenging you to create a miniature for tabletop games – it could be characters, machines or other props, as long as you take the battle to your table! Our sponsor Shapeways is providing a 3D print of the winning model. For some inspiration, check out their new gallery of 3D printed miniatures.
Read on for the full rules, but the TL;DR version is: sculpt any ‘tabletop war’ model, upload to Sketchfab and set ‘Downloadable’, tag with #3DSculptTabletopWars to enter.
We’ve been trying to think up new ways to make these challenges interesting to both new and experienced 3D sculpting artists and also more community oriented – how can we work together to build something and give back to the wider 3D neighbourhood, so here’s how we’re running this challenge:
- You can use any 3D sculpting tool that you like. If you’re new to sculpting, take a look at free tools like Sculptris, Blender or our own Sculptfab.
- Once you’ve created your 3D model, upload it to Sketchfab, tag it #3DSculptTabletopWars and set it to Downloadable.
- Share what you’re planning to create on the challenge thread in the forum – for extra fun you can collaborate with other participants and create pieces that work well together!
- Models must be set to Downloadable to take part in the challenge – partly so we can combine the top entries in our final tabletop war scene but also because we are encouraging you to create a legacy of free and open 3D content that can be used by artists, game devs and hobbyists.
- Submission deadline is Monday, February 6th (23.59 New York time – GMT-5).
- Sketchfab Master Adam Beamish
- Shapeways Community: The DM Workshop
- Shapeways: Andrew Thomas, Community manager
- Sketchfab: Bart Veldhuizen, Head of Community
Shapeways is offering $100 worth of credits to the winner – enough to get your design 3D printed in a great material and ship to you! We’re adding 3 months of Sketchfab PRO to the prize pot.
Terms and Conditions
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
This is a contest for individuals, no teams.
- No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab employees or their families.
- No ripping of models from anywhere on the Internet, all entries must be original works of art. Using work that is not your own will immediately disqualify you.
- The judges’ decision are final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Contestants models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #3DSculptTableTopWars to be considered.
- Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
- Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- The winners will be contacted by Friday, February 10th.
- Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.