In a world built on three dimensional pixels, a hero must design and build a fantasy voxel world and protect it from an unknown evil that may determine the fate of an entire kingdom. Export your tale to Sketchfab using annotations to tell your story and by the power of Greyskull… you might be victorious!
We’re excited about the recent popularity of ‘Voxel’ art here at Sketchfab! If you’re new to this: Voxels are 3-dimensional ‘pixels’. You can think of voxel art as ‘3D pixel art’.
For artists it’s an attractive, minimalist medium to create their work with. The constraints of working with basic cubic shapes and the absence of texture maps force them to reduce their concepts to the absolute minimum. And yet, the resulting work is usually surprisingly figurative and vibrant – take a look in our Voxel gallery!
We thought it would be a great theme for our next contest. And as the medium is already so restrictive, we thought we should give you some more freedom in the topic: Fantasy. So we’re talking about castles, knights, wizards, dragons and all that.
Tell us a story through a diorama, and use annotations to tell a story and guide us through as it unfolds. Each contestant will receive a month of Sketchfab PRO so you can use up to 20 annotations per scene.
We’ve got an exciting pot of prizes for you, and we have an amazing group of judges – both artists and creators of renowned voxel tools – who will use all their expertise to help us pick the winners.
Here’s what you can win!
- Lego Studio box
- A $200 budget to 3D Print your work in full color at 3D Hubs
- A Qubicle Master license
- A Parrot Airborne Cargo drone – sponsored by 3D Slash
- 12 months of Sketchfab PRO, a Sketchfab Hoodie & T-Shirt and a Custom Cardboard
- A $100 budget to 3D Print your work at 3D Hubs
- Qubicle Home license
- 6 month of Sketchfab PRO, a Sketchfab T-Shirt and a Custom Cardboard
- A $50 budget to 3D Print your work at 3D Hubs
- Qubicle Home license
- 3 months of Sketchfab PRO, a Sketchfab T-Shirt and a Cardboard
Once again, we have an awesome group of judges lined up – they’re all leaders in Voxel software and art:
- Zach Soares – @y2bcrazy – contract Voxel artist and animator
- Ben Weatherall – @SunraHeadgear – creator of Crossy Roads
- Gabriel de Laubier – Elbriga on Sketchfab
- Tim Wesoly – CEO of Minddesk Software GmbH and Lead Developer of Qubicle
- Sylvain Huet – CEO of 3D Slash
- @Ephtracy – creator of MagicaVoxel
How to enter
- Create a Fantasy diorama using voxels.
- We recommend starting with a dedicated voxel tool like Qubicle, MagicaVoxel or 3D-Slash, but this is not required.
- Post-processing your scene in other 3D tools (to bake ambient occlusion or lighting, for example) is allowed.
- Tell us a story by annotating your scene. All participants will receive one month of Sketchfab PRO so you can use up to 20 annotations per scene.
- Start your own topic in the Heroic Voxels 2016 forum where you document your work in progress (WIP). Post regular updates (with images and Sketchfab embeds), and be sure to mark which entry is your final submission. Tag your work in progress with #heroicvoxels-wip (and with #voxel, for good measure 😉
- Publish your final entry to your account, and tag it with #heroicvoxels.
You can submit as many entries as you like, but only submit new work that you created for this contest! Entries close Wednesday, February 24.
Terms and Conditions
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
- No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab employees or their families.
- The promoters decision is final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Contestants models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #heroicvoxels to be considered.
- Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
- Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- The winner will be contacted by March 8th, 2016.
- Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.