Who am I?
I am a freelance graphic designer and illustrator for 7 years now. I am specialized in the creation of characters, decors, concept art, 3D modeling and texturing hand painting.
I make a lot of personal creations in order to work on different processes and have a new approach. In short, stay curious!
Mainly focused in graphic arts, cinema and video games, I am close to friends who are specialized in motion design and communication. Together, we aim to create a creative agency to bring together all our skills and know-how under the name of “Woot” agency.
I had long wanted to make a character in low poly and try harder the style as much in details, textures as final rendering. I wanted to get closer to a character in the style of a Jafar (Aladdin) or Merlin (The Sword in the Stone), so I started making sketches to define a shape.
I had a clear vision of what I wanted, so I modeled a base directly under 3D Studio Max. I played a lot on the curves, as much on the shoulders, arms as on the extension of the robe.
I started by modeling the head and I added a big mustache and disheveled eyebrows.
To create the piles, I made plenty of planes where I will draw the piles afterwards, playing with the alpha to cut out the shapes.
Body & Objects
To make the body, I started working on the bust. Once I had a convincing shape, I did everything else: dress, arms, hands and legs hidden under the dress.
About the objects, it was much easier since the body was made. I just had to follow the main shapes and create my objects based on it. Once finished, I placed a pedestal like the figurines to lay the structure.
I grouped the elements in 3 parts: the head, the body and the objects. Once done, I made the UV mapping on each part in order to have 3 textures in the end.
Once the mapping was completed, I make all the texture part by doing everything in drawing, without using photos etc.
Morphing & Skinning
In order not to have a too static character for final rendering, I realized different face expressions to make it more realistically unsymmetrical and adding a facial expression.
When the facial expressions have been completed, I created a skeleton by using bones on the whole character to be able to do my skinning.
I placed bones on the main parts and also on the secondary parts in order to animate everything if necessary. (Belt, mustache, satchel, etc.).
To check the skinning quality, I did quite a lot of different poses to see if all the parts were good.
When everything was good, I finished with a final pose (that of the result) that will serve me as a definitive one.
Render to Texture
In order to get the final result, I placed 3 directional lights around the character and 1 omni light for the stick light. I used Mental Ray and the photometric lights.
Among the 3 lights, there is the main light or I place a slightly orange color and I activate the shadows in “ray traced shadows”.
1 sky blue light at left rear, and 1 light pink light at right rear. For the light of the stick, I used an omni where I placed a fluorescent green.When I activate the “high quality” view, I get this result:
At this stage, the work is almost finished. It only remains to render the final textures, thanks to the “render to texture”. For each one, I rendered a “complete map”. There will be all the information of diffuse, light, shadows, occlusion in 1 single image.
When they are calculated, I remove all the lights from my scene and I apply the new textures to control.
Mission accomplished! My sorcerer is definitely complete!
I only have to export my file in .fbx on Sketchfab, apply my textures, do my post prod and it’s done.
The integration into Sketchfab was very easy and very fast; I had only 3 textures to integrate!
With the new features in the app, I was able to use the option of z-depth in order to have a focus on certain parts of the character. The biggest advantage: the post prod options like the filters, the colorimetric alterations are really good and intuitive.
Sketchfab has helped me a lot to present my work and gives a new dimension to admire the community works.
Keep it up!